Monday 10 June 2013

Week 1: Remembering how to draw..

I used to draw every single day.  I didn't even think of it as practice or work, I was serious about drawing for comic books one day (before I realised I could make my drawings move of course).  Needless to say I was pretty chuffed at my skill back then, there weren't many in my class at primary school, secondary school or even 6th form who could draw very well.....so my ego grew - how stupid was I?

I made it to Uni, did a year diploma in Art foundation (media pathway) and then onto a 3yr animation course.  My 'skill' was put into perspective.  I wasn't the worst, but it wasn't as easy for me to shine, I had talented competition all around me.  So I guess I slowly shied away from drawing everyday, the drive to do it fading.   That's not even the end of it, wait until you reach a VFX house, maybe peruse some of your colleague's websites, and allow your jaw to drop.

So I am not the best anymore, far......FAR.....from it (as you can see with these quick phone snaps of some drawings (I'll scan them in properly at a later date), but at least I am inspired again.  If you ever feel a lack in motivation for painting or drawing, just walk into an art shop - I swear the smell of fresh brushes and oil paint made me pause.

So, without further ado and in keeping with my new 'show your mistakes' motto, here are 2 drawings I've done recently, and find below my own observations....




This is some sort of Samurai themed gal, it started off well proportion-wise, but in the end I find her pose kind of stiff and boring.  I used free flowing floopy lines for her hair and couldn't apply that to her body, too many rigid lines.

At least this little homage to Rogue from X-men is a little more exciting to look at.  Kind of went for a mid-air cross legged pose whilst removing her glove - very dangerous if you're near her.  But I couldn't get her arm at the back correct, the angle and shape seem very wrong.  Will have to look at poses like that more often and do some studies.


No comments:

Post a Comment