Friday 28 September 2012

Great hand movements and fidgeting

A common issue I come across when animating, is knowing when to keep things moving and to hold that lovely pause for effect - but even then, eyes are probably darting, maybe there's a quiver in the lip etc etc and it's these moments when I try to watch people sitting around on the train or on the phone to someone, but this is when people are trying to be their most composed I find.
What I should look out for (and will from now on) are interviews!!!! I was watching this interview of Jamie Hewlett and I could not stop staring at his hands, he fidgets like mad and strikes some strong poses using them.  If you've done that great lip sync and think 'this is missing something!' add a fidget or 2 to show the character's emotion ranging from nervous, vulnerable, excited etc etc. But try not to let this overtake your main animation, these little bits should compliment your animation, not take away the attention.

Here's the short interview, enjoy...






No comments:

Post a Comment